Bay leaves – 2
Chili powder – 1/2
Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
Cummin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Egg plant (Brinjal) – 1 Large, [cubed into 1 inch pieces]
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Onions – 1 Large, (thinly sliced)
Tomatoes – 2 (diced)
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
How to make Aubergine Masala in 10 steps
1. In a pan, heat the oil
2. Once the oil has heated, add cummin and bay leaves and fry them
3. After about 2 mins, add the thinly sliced onions and fry them well. The onions should change color; they should be golden-brown.
4. Once the onions are golden-brown, add ginger-garlic paste and fry it.
5. After 2-3 mins of frying, add tomatoes.
6. Once the tomatoes have broken down, add the egg plant cubes and fry it well in the oil and onions. Keep stirring so that the cubes fry well.
7. After about 5-7 mins, add the turmeric, chili powder and coriander powder.
8. Mix the masalas well. Now add the lemon juice and salt. Mix well and cook on high flame for about 8 mins, Keep on stirring well so that the cubes or the masala don’t burn.
9. Now add 1/4 cup water, mix well again, cover and keep on medium heat.
10. Once the steam starts to show up, you will know your Aubergine Masala is done!